We accept donations
to support this site.
Video: Meet two hard- working North Carolinians who have been screwed by the insurance system. When cancer strikes and they need help the most, they cannot get it. The fact that this happens in richest country in the world is an outrage.
Zenni Optical. High-quality eyeglasses at amazingly low prices
PharmacyChecker.com: Compare drug prices and save money at verified online pharmacies.
Insurance Reform Watch was developed in response to the insurance industry's opposition to what is commonly referred to as "health care reform" but is more accurately described as "insurance reform."
About This Site
- Key Elements of Health Care Reform (posted 9/20/09)
- Glossary of Common Insurance Terms (posted 8/4/09)
Basic Problems in the U.S. Marketplace
- Why Insurance Reform Is Desperately Needed (updated 9/8/09)
- Our Health-Care System Needs Healing (posted 9/4/09)
- Coverage Denied: How the Current Health Insurance System Leaves Millions Behind (posted 8/14/09)
- 2010 Health Interview Survey Finds 50 Million Uninsured (posted 8/10)
- Another Insurance Insider Speaks Out (posted 9/18/09)
- How the U.S. Health Care System Compares with Programs Run by Other Governments (posted 8/8/09)
- Excess Deaths Linked to Lack of Health Insurance (posted 9/18/09)
- Why Malpractice Reform Is Needed to Protect Doctors and Medical Care (posted 3/21/11)
- FBI Overview of Health Care Fraud (posted 4/13/11)
- Schemes to Defraud Medicare, Medicaid, and Private Health Insurers (posted 8/27/11)
- Uncovering Medicare Waste, Fraud, and Abuse (posted 9/6/12)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Would National Health Insurance Be "Socialized Medicine"?
- Should Managed Care Cover "Alternative Medicine?
Consumer Protection News and Advice
- Unethical Actions by the Insurance Industry (posted 8/4/09)
- Insurance Fraud and Abuse (link to Quackwatch)
- GAO Warns against Unlicensed Health Insurance Plans (posted 8/6/09)
- Why "Dread Disease" Policies Should Be Avoided (posted 8/6/09)
- Be Wary of Health Care Credit Cards (posted 8/13/09)
- Congressional Budget Office Analysis of New Law
- How to Save Money Now on Drug Costs (to be posted)
- Allstate Files $2 Million Insurance Fraud Case (posted 3/16/12)
Current Laws and Regulations
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (2010) (posted 9/7/11)
- Timetable and major provisions of the Affordable Care Act (link to another site)
- Employer's Guide to Group Health Continuation Coverage under COBRA (posted 9/7/11)
- Medicare Covered Services (posted 3/12/13)
- Deceptive Insurance Industry Practices: Are Consumers Getting what They Paid For? [Part I] [Part II]
- Between You and Your Doctor: the Bureaucracy of Private Health Insurance. [Part I] [Part II]
- Health Care Reform in a Struggling Economy: What's on the Horizon for Small Business?
- The Economic Case for Health Care Reform
Proposals for Reform
- Key Issues in Analyzing Major Health Insurance Proposals (posted 8/24/11)
- Proposal of the Physicians' Working Group for Single-Payer National Health Insurance (posted 8/7/09)
- Seven Ways to Reduce Unnecessary Medical Costs—Right Now! (posted 8/12/09)
Opposition to Reform
- Bogus Arguments against Insurance Reform (to be posted)
- A Close Look at Rick Scott and His Conservatives for Patients' Rights Propaganda Machine (posted 8/10/09)
- Healthcare and Insurance Campaign Contributions to
North Carolina Members of Congress (posted 8/13/09)
Online Citizen Action
- Open Letter Urging President Obama to Support Single-Payer Health Care
- Support President Obama's Drive for Health Care Reform
- Participate in AARP's Health Action Now
Links to Recommended Sites
- AHRQ Medical Expenditure Panel
- Center for Media and Democracy
- Coalition against Insurance Fraud
- The Commonwealth Fund
- HCA Watch: Background on HCA/Columbia Prosecution
- FAIRHealth Educational Site (Medical and dental fee database)
- Health Care Fact Check
- Health Care for All NC
- Health Care Reform Myths
- Kaiser Family Foundation
- Managed Care Digest
- Physicians for a National Health Care Program
- Stop Medicare Fraud
- White House Office of Health Reform
- Wikipedia: Universal Health Care Systems in Other Countries
Portions of Insurance Reform Watch are updated about once a month.
Most recent update: March 12, 2013.
- Site indexing is done daily at 5:00 AM
- All articles on this Web site except government reports are copyrighted.
- Single copies can be downloaded for personal education; other uses without authorization are illegal.
- "Quackwatch" and the duck picture are service-marked; their
unauthorized use is illegal.
Site design was developed by Marty Mapes of Boulder Information Services
|Insurance Reform Watch home
page visitors since 8/4/09: